Friday, December 12, 2014

These five things

When you have to leave your chosen profession early because of your health, there are many challenges that come your way. Your family has a hard time with it, your finances are affected, your self-worth is in crisis, not to mention the issues of your personal well-being. Like anyone who is faced with serious life issues, I was forced to reinvent myself and decide what was most important in my future. Who am I? What would the rest of my days look like? Because of the progression of this illness I constantly have to readjust to a new normal and remain in a positive frame of mind. The illness is not currently life-threatening but it certainly has changed my life and continues to. Through this experience I have learned what is really important to me. I could list them as five areas easily: 1- My daily walk and relationship with God. I will have personal devotions every day and will seek to draw closer to him. I will make myself available to the Holy Spirit. 2- Ministry of some kind, whether large or small. I will be involved in some kind of helping ministry whether spiritual or simply helping the poor & those in need. 3- My family. This includes my loving wife of 40 years, my two sons, their wives and their children. It also includes my extended family and friends. One thing I have learned to do is become a househusband. While my wife is working I take care of the house, make the purchases, cook the food, and do what anyone else at home does. I also seek to build a close relationship with my sons and their wives and their children. I have found this a great joy. The Lord has made it possible for us to live six months out in northwest where we can be closer to one of my sons and his family. This is been a great blessing. Back in the East we are closer to our other son. 4- Art. I love to paint in acrylics and pastels. It is amazing that anybody thinks it's worth looking at or even purchasing but I don't do it for that, I do it because I love it. I would like art to be in some way a ministry but I'm not sure how that would happen. 5- Writing. Now that I am not preparing sermons every week nor devotionals, etc. I want to express myself by writing. Speaking is very different than writing. I want to learn how to write effectively. I know that involves practice and understanding the principles. So I am involved in that on a regular basis. It would do us all good to determine what is most important and pursue that in life. We probably would waste less time on those things that are not very important.

No comments:

Post a Comment