Monday, April 11, 2011

Homelessness is no fun

Homelessness is no fun. There is a ministry called the Free Store in downtown Charlotte for homeless people. It provides some of their basic necessities for free. Our church has voted this as a ministry to support.

It has not been easy for me to be involved there. It brings back memories of a different life, in a different place and a different situation. For many months in the early 70s I experienced what those people experience. Homelessness is no fun. It has been difficult for me to be at the free store...emotional...maybe even frightening because I have been in partial denial for 30+ years. Like with my fear of heights I find myself just wanting to jump...right back there with them. I have become like most people who have never experienced it. Thankful for the way life is and really uncomfortable being around those other people. But at the same time I find myself drawn to help those people whom Jesus died for. They are just like you and me. They just exist on the other side of the tracks...the side most are embarrassed about.

Please don't be embarrassed. Give them the compassion every human deserves through Christ. "However, there should be no poor among you..." Deuteronomy 15:4 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment